CALDWELL, NJ — The Caldwell Borough Council unanimously passed a resolution on Feb. 15 that terminates a shared services agreement with West Caldwell for 911 emergency and non-emergency dispatch services.
The agreement initially began in 2017 and will terminate effective Dec. 31, 2022. The resolution noted that the borough will “research and consider all options for the provision of such services in the future that will most benefit the residents of the Borough of Caldwell.”
Council president Jeff Gates, under “new business,” addressed the request from the West Essex First Aid Squad for a vehicle to be used by supervisors to respond to calls. The request was for consideration of the borough providing a used vehicle when a new one would be procured by another department…
Fire crews were sent to the wrong location a few weeks ago. Here’s how officials are addressing it
More than 1,000 calls come into Lucas County 911 dispatch everyday.
And since a countywide 911 consolidation last fall of those calls now go to a central dispatching center since Lucas County consolidated its eight former regional 911 centers into one unit.
The consolidation has not been without its issues, including an incident in which crews were mistakenly dispatched to downtown Toledo when they were actually needed in Sylvania to help a woman whose car was on fire…
Skagit County will begin accepting text messages to 911 starting March 1.
Helen Rasmussen, director of Skagit 911, said the upgrade will ensure that those who are hard of hearing or have a speech disorder can contact emergency services without specialized equipment.
Rasmussen also said parts of remote Skagit County have spotty cellphone service and can’t sustain a 911 call, but that it might be possible to send a text.
Texting 911 should be used if calling is difficult or unsafe. In order to help dispatchers understand the extent of the emergency, those texting are asked to use complete words and concise language, according to a news release from Skagit 911…
NEW YORK — On Tuesday, AT&T announced it hit a major milestone with $130 billion invested into FirstNet, its communication platform designed for first responders.
The platform was created in 2017, and since then has amassed more than three million users nationwide.
In addition to the investment announcement, the company also announced a variety of new initiatives related to the platform. To combat dead zones inside structures, AT&T is collaborating with the Safer Buildings Coalition to create new code requirements and in-building communications capabilities.
The company also announced it was adding a third “emergency pathway” to reinforce the reliability of the FirstNet platform, like a “’backup’ to the ‘backup’” line,” according to a company press release.
By Edward Parkinson, CEO, First Responder Network Authority (FirstNet Authority)
Broadband has become the lifeblood of our economy. It is also essential to our national security and public safety, a fact that first responders recognized many years ago. The tragedies of September 11th revealed fundamental problems with the communication systems used by our nation’s first responders. They needed a more advanced telecommunications infrastructure for their lifesaving mission, a reliable one to help them communicate and share information during emergencies and daily operations… READ MORE
The Sunrise Beach Police Department received a nearly $10-thousand grant to enhance communication for officers patrolling the city.
The grant is being awarded through the Missouri Department of Public Safety and will allow the police department to upgrade in-car radios in two of the patrol vehicles.
The radios operate on the new statewide public safety system and are used for communicating with dispatch, fire EMS and other agencies around the lake area…
Learn about current efforts to continue to protect the 4.9 GHz Band for public safety as well as recent filings, key decisions impacting these efforts, and how you can support PSSA’s initiative to protect the 4.9 GHz band for public safety.