Sign the Petition: Support Next Generation 9-1-1 Funding Legislation
This legislation will provide funding to not only update, but modernize the existing 9-1-1 infrastructure, as well as ensure interoperability, address cybersecurity concerns, provide training for first responders and end users of the 9-1-1 system.
The Public Safety Next Generation 9-1-1 Coalition (https://ng-911coalition.org), an alliance of nationwide public safety leadership associations representing law enforcement, fire, EMS, and 9-1-1 professionals, helped develop and support the legislation included in the LIFT America Act. We support the work and insight of these professionals who know best what is needed to modernize 9-1-1 and improve emergency response.
Members of the Coalition include:
- Major Cities Chiefs Association (MCCA)
- National Association of State EMS Officials (NASEMSO)
- International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP)
- Major County Sheriffs of America (MCSA)
- International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC)
- Association of Public Safety Communications Officials – International (APCO)
- National Sheriffs’ Association
- Metropolitan Fire Chiefs Association
The PSBTA asks you to sign the petition to support the Next Generation 9-1-1 Legislation in the LIFT America Act.
READ THE PETITION
By signing this petition, we endorse the following principles which are integral for public safety professionals as they carry out their life-saving missions. We the petition signers believe the Next Generation 9-1-1 Legislation in the LIFT America Act will provide the nation’s first responders with the tools and technology they need to complete their daily mission of saving lives of our nation’s citizens. We believe the NG9-1-1 legislation will:
- Not only build upon current investments but rescue public safety agencies from being left with overly costly, substandard, incomplete, and non-interoperable solutions. This includes ensuring that existing deployments can become interoperable with new implementations.
- Ensure that technology standards prevalent in the consumer marketplace, and which have led to enormous innovation, interoperability, and economies of scale, are employed for NG9-1-1.
- Ensure that other standards that vendors desire to use have the approval of a well-recognized standards development accreditation body. This is important for avoiding the use of one-off “standards” that result in proprietary and non-interoperable solutions.
- Adhere to the cybersecurity protections for 9-1-1 recommended by an esteemed federal advisory committee. This consists of an efficient, distributed network of cybersecurity centers at state or regional levels serving multiple 9-1-1 centers.
- Create a well-rounded, balanced, and efficient advisory board composed of across-section of public safety professionals to provide initial and ongoing expertise to the federal agency responsible for administering the grant program.
- Not only preserve state and local control of NG9-1-1 operations but ensure that diverse local public safety input is fully accounted for in all NG9-1-1 plans and grant applications.
Share this petition with your colleagues: